Wednesday, August 31, 2011

     One thing I didn’t understand in the reading was metering.  I don’t know where the 4 modes the book talks about are on my camera, or if they are something that the photographer does manually.  The histogram is also confusing and I don’t really understand how it works.  If its something that you use to analyze the picture once you’ve taken it to adjust for the next shot. Or if you can use it before you take a picture to see if the lighting is right.
      I like the authors ideas on electronic flash.  I admire and respect pictures much more when I know I am seeing what was actually there in nature and not something that was changed due to a man made flash of the camera.
      In the book there are some guidelines to shooting a landscape picture and having a large depth of field.  One of the tips is to focus on the foreground and then refocus on the middle ground.  I don’t understand how that is possible, because if you focus on the foreground and then refocus somewhere else won’t the first focused image be out of focus?
     I had known some of the benefits of studying your subjects before you photograph them.  But one advantage I hadn’t thought of was learning their movements, or what they look like right before they are going to pounce, or the position of a monkey right before he leaps to the next tree.  Knowing these behaviors of your subject helps to take good action shots that are not blurred if you don’t want them to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment